Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a theme park at the Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando. The park opened in 1998 and, at 500 acres, is the largest animal-themed park in the world. The park is home to hundreds of animals from 250 species, including gorillas, tigers, elephants and flamingos.
- Discovery Island and Oasis
- Top rides and attractions
- Avatar Flight of Passage
- Expedition Everest
- Kali River Rapids Ride
- Na’vi River Cruise
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Live entertainment and shows
- Festival of the Lion King
- Finding Nemo: The Big Blue… and Beyond
- Animation Academy
- Is it possible to complete all the rides in one day?
- Dining experiences
- Themed restaurants and quick-service locations
- Unique dishes inspired by global cuisines
- Character dining opportunities
- Staying at a Disney Resort Hotel
- How to get from Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom?
- What is the best way to get from Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom?
It’s not just a zoo, it’s also an amusement park. From thrilling attractions to family-friendly shows, we discover the best attractions at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, where you’ll spend unforgettable hours.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom has different animals from all over the world and they have divided the park into various sections. Discovery Island, Africa, Rafiki’s Planet Watch, Asia, Dinoland U.S.A., Pandora – The World of Avatar and Conservation Station. Each of them tries to please visitors with different concepts.
Discovery Island and Oasis
Discovery Island and Oasis serve as the welcoming gateways into the enchanting world of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Upon entering the park, visitors are greeted by the lush, tropical landscape of the Oasis, which sets the stage for the immersive experience that awaits.
Meandering pathways lead guests through this verdant paradise, showcasing exotic animal exhibits and introducing the park’s core message of conservation and harmony with nature.
At the heart of the park lies Discovery Island, an iconic destination anchored by the majestic Tree of Life. This awe-inspiring, 145-foot-tall tree features intricately carved animal figures within its massive trunk, symbolizing the interconnectedness of all living things.
As the central hub of the park, Discovery Island provides access to the various themed lands and is bustling with lively entertainment, character meet-and-greets, and unique shopping and dining options.
Top rides and attractions
Avatar Flight of Passage
Avatar Flight of Passage is an exhilarating ride at Disney’s Animal Kingdom where guests can experience flying through the world of Pandora on the back of a banshee.
Using a combination of a moving seat and 3D glasses, the ride simulates the sensation of soaring through the air, making it a must-try for Avatar fans and thrill-seekers alike. While those with motion sensitivity may want to think twice, the ride is a fantastic example of the immersive and cutting-edge technology that Disney is known for.
As part of the park’s Avatar-themed attractions, Avatar Flight of Passage was created with the support of James Cameron, the producer of the Avatar movie.
Expedition Everest, often regarded as one of Disney’s most exhilarating attractions, takes guests on a heart-pounding journey through the breathtaking landscapes of the Himalayas.
This innovative roller coaster, located in the Asia section of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, offers an adrenaline-charged experience that combines thrilling drops, high-speed twists, and even a harrowing encounter with the legendary Yeti.
The ride’s backstory is steeped in rich Himalayan folklore, immersing visitors in the tale of brave explorers venturing into the snowy peaks in search of the mythical creature. With its meticulously designed queue that takes guests through a museum of Yeti artifacts and an authentically-themed Himalayan village, Expedition Everest doesn’t just offer a high-speed adventure—it delivers a fully immersive experience that transports riders to a far-off land filled with mystery and excitement. The ride lasts close to 3 minutes.
Kali River Rapids Ride
Kali River Rapids, Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s sole water attraction, offers an exhilarating and refreshing experience as guests embark on a thrilling river rafting adventure. Seated in a large, circular boat, riders navigate the turbulent waters of a lush, exotic river landscape, with the likelihood of getting soaked along the way.
To stay comfortable during the ride, it’s wise to wear a waterproof raincoat, especially if you plan to ride Kali River Rapids early in the day to avoid spending hours in damp clothes. Make sure to protect your footwear by wrapping them in a bag, and safeguard your electronic devices by placing them in waterproof cases.
Dinosaur, located in DinoLand U.S.A., is a thrilling, time-traveling adventure that transports guests back to the prehistoric era for a face-to-face encounter with dinosaurs. As riders board their Time Rovers, they embark on a high-stakes mission led by the quirky Dr. Seeker to bring back an Iguanodon just moments before the catastrophic asteroid impact that led to the extinction of the dinosaurs.
With cutting-edge audio-animatronics, immersive special effects, and a bone-rattling ride experience, Dinosaur delivers a heart-pounding journey through a primeval world filled with colossal creatures and awe-inspiring landscapes.
This thrilling attraction appeals to dinosaur enthusiasts, adrenaline junkies, and Disney fans alike, offering an unforgettable experience that combines scientific intrigue, pulse-pounding action, and a touch of Disney magic.
Na’vi River Cruise
The Na’vi River Journey is a boat ride located in Pandora – The World of Avatar, which transports guests into the heart of a bioluminescent rainforest inspired by James Cameron‘s blockbuster film, “Avatar.”
As you glide through the mystical waters of the sacred river, you’ll be immersed in a world of lush flora and exotic fauna, with captivating visual effects and sounds that evoke the spirit of the Na’vi culture.
The grand finale of the attraction is the unforgettable encounter with the Na’vi Shaman of Songs, an astonishing Audio-Animatronic figure that showcases the pinnacle of Disney’s technological achievements. With her enchanting melodies, the Shaman of Songs celebrates the deep connection between the Na’vi people and the harmonious balance of nature, leaving guests with a profound sense of awe and wonder.
One of the must-visit attractions at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Kilimanjaro Safaris, provides an authentic African safari experience without ever leaving the park. As you embark on a guided expedition through the 110-acre Harambe Wildlife Reserve, you’ll encounter an incredible array of animals, including elephants, lions, giraffes, zebras, hippos, and more.
Guests have the opportunity to observe these magnificent animals up-close in environments that mimic their natural habitats, with expertly designed landscapes that ensure the animals’ wellbeing and comfort.
The ride’s knowledgeable safari guides offer fascinating insights into the wildlife, their behaviors, and the ongoing conservation efforts to protect these species. To maximize your Kilimanjaro Safaris experience, consider the following tips:
- Visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon, when the animals are typically more active and visible.
- Take advantage of the ride’s FastPass+ or Genie+ options to minimize wait times, especially during peak park hours.
- Don’t forget your camera, but remember to turn off the flash to avoid disturbing the animals and ensure better photos.
- The ride takes about 20 minutes and you can get some great photos, but hold on to your camera because the road can be bumpy at times. If you can, sit in the back row and on the left side of the vehicle.
Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail
The Gorilla Falls Discovery Trail is a must-see attraction at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. This self-guided walking path takes you on a journey through lush forests and waterfalls, giving you an up-close look at a variety of exotic animals, including gorillas, hippos and meerkats.
As you walk the trail, you will encounter a variety of animal habitats and exhibits, each offering a unique and educational experience. The gorilla habitat in particular is one of the highlights of the trail. This area is home to a herd of Western lowland gorillas, one of the most endangered species in the world.
Visitors can observe these majestic animals in their natural habitat, watching them interact with each other, play and even snack on their favorite foods. It is not possible to see many animals like gorillas at all hours of the day. I hope you will be lucky enough to catch one of them.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park also offers opportunities to get up close and personal with the animals. The Affection Section is the ideal place to start getting up close and personal with the animals. In this zoo-style area, you can get up close and personal with the park’s small inhabitants, such as goats, sheep and pigs. You can even feed them.
It’s Tough to be a Bug
It’s Tough to be a Bug is an immersive 3D film and live show experience located in the heart of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, nestled beneath the iconic Tree of Life on Discovery Island. This family-friendly attraction invites guests to take a seat in the “bug’s-eye-view” theater and join the lovable ant, Flik, from Disney Pixar’s “A Bug’s Life,” as he presents a whimsical yet educational journey into the world of insects.
The show features a combination of 3D film, animatronics, special effects, and in-theater surprises, all working together to demonstrate the vital role bugs play in our ecosystem.
Through humor and memorable moments, guests learn about the incredible abilities and importance of these tiny creatures, leaving them with a newfound appreciation for the insect world. It’s about 9 minutes long.
Triceratop Spin is one of the activities that children can get involved in. It is a ride where you get on a giant triceratops and spin around it. It is sure to interest children of all ages.
Live entertainment and shows
Festival of the Lion King
The Lion King Festival is one of the most beloved live shows at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and it’s easy to see why. Held in an indoor theater in the African section of the park, this incredible performance brings the characters and music of “The Lion King” spectacularly to life.
The show is hosted by four performers representing the elements of nature: fire, water, wind and earth. They will introduce Simba and his friends from the savannah, including Timon and Pumbaa, on their journey to become the ruler of the Pride Lands.
Throughout the show, you will be amazed by the incredible talent of the performers, from aerial ballet to fire dancing and tumbling. And of course there will be plenty of opportunities to sing along and clap along to classic songs like “Circle of Life“, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” and “Hakuna Matata“.
Finding Nemo: The Big Blue… and Beyond
Finding Nemo: The Big Blue… and Beyond is an interactive live show at Disney’s Animal Kingdom that is based on the popular Pixar movie “Finding Nemo.” The show takes place in the Theater in the Wild, a covered outdoor amphitheater located in the park’s Dinoland USA area.
During the show, guests join Dory and her friends on a musical adventure as they search for Nemo, who has gone missing once again. The show features a combination of live actors, puppetry, and animation projected onto a large screen backdrop. The performers interact with the animated characters on the screen, creating a seamless and immersive experience for the audience.
The show includes original songs, vibrant costumes, and colorful sets that transport guests to the underwater world of the Great Barrier Reef. Along the way, guests will encounter a variety of sea creatures, including sharks, jellyfish, sea turtles, and more.
The Animation Experience at Conservation Station is an interactive and educational attraction located within Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park. This experience allows guests to learn about the art of animation and its connection to the animal world.
During the experience, guests are seated in a classroom-style setting and are provided with an animation clipboard and pencil. They are then guided by a Disney animator through a step-by-step drawing tutorial of a particular animal, such as Simba from The Lion King or Pua from Moana.
The animator provides helpful tips and techniques along the way, and guests have the opportunity to ask questions and receive feedback on their drawings.
Is it possible to complete all the rides in one day?
It is possible to experience all of the rides at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in one day, but it can be a challenge depending on factors such as crowd levels and wait times.
To increase your chances of experiencing all of the rides in one day, you can consider the following tips:
- Arrive Early: Getting to the park before it opens can help you get a head start on the crowds and lines, and enable you to experience some of the more popular attractions with shorter wait times.
- Use FastPass+: FastPass+ allows you to reserve access to select attractions in advance, and can significantly reduce your wait times. You can reserve up to three FastPass+ experiences per day, and once you use all three, you can book additional FastPasses (one at a time, subject to availability).
- Be Strategic with Your Ride Order: Prioritize the rides that tend to have the longest wait times first, such as Avatar Flight of Passage and Expedition Everest. Plan your route through the park to minimize walking time and maximize ride access.
- Take Advantage of Single Rider Lines: Some attractions, such as Expedition Everest and Dinosaur, have single rider lines that can help you bypass longer standby lines.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom offers a diverse range of dining experiences, with themed restaurants and quick-service locations that cater to various tastes and budgets. From African-inspired cuisine to intergalactic bites, guests can embark on a culinary journey that complements their adventures throughout the park.
Themed restaurants and quick-service locations
- Tiffins Restaurant: This signature dining location offers a fine dining experience with a menu inspired by global flavors, reflecting the spirit of exploration.
- Satu’li Canteen: Located in Pandora – The World of Avatar, this quick-service restaurant serves customizable bowls with a unique, otherworldly twist.
- Yak & Yeti Restaurant: Serving a fusion of pan-Asian cuisine, this table-service restaurant transports guests to a remote Nepalese village with its exotic theming.
Unique dishes inspired by global cuisines
- The Harambe Market in Africa offers a variety of African-inspired street food, including dishes like grilled chicken skewers and beef and lamb gyros.
- In Asia, guests can try the iconic bao buns and potstickers at the Caravan Road quick-service location.
- For something sweet, indulge in the famous Pongu Lumpia, a pineapple cream cheese spring roll, found at Pongu Pongu in Pandora – The World of Avatar.
Character dining opportunities
- Tusker House Restaurant: This buffet-style dining experience allows guests to meet some of their favorite Disney characters, such as Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy, all dressed in safari attire. The menu features a diverse array of African-inspired dishes, making it a unique and fun dining option for the whole family.
Staying at a Disney Resort Hotel
When planning your visit to Disney’s Animal Kingdom, staying at a Disney Resort Hotel offers numerous benefits and perks that can enhance your overall vacation experience.
As a resort guest, you’ll enjoy convenient transportation to and from the parks via complimentary bus, Skyliner, monorail, or boat services, ensuring a seamless and stress-free journey.
Additionally, resort guests can take advantage of Extra Magic Hours, granting them early entry or extended hours at the parks, allowing more time to explore and enjoy the attractions.
Disney Resort Hotels are known for their immersive theming and exceptional service, making your stay feel like an extension of the magic. Some recommended hotels near Disney’s Animal Kingdom include Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, which offers stunning savannah views and the opportunity to observe exotic wildlife from your balcony.
This deluxe resort boasts African-inspired architecture and dining options, providing an unforgettable experience. For a more budget-friendly option, Disney’s All-Star Resorts – consisting of All-Star Movies, Music, and Sports – provide fun and whimsical theming at a value price point.
How to get from Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom?
Visitors to Walt Disney World often want to know how to get from Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom. After all, these are Walt Disney World’s two most popular parks and they are located on opposite sides of the resort.
What is the best way to get from Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom?
There are two ways to get from Magic Kingdom theme park to Animal Kingdom. Disney bus and Minnie Van Service. The Disney bus is the free transportation between the two theme parks. The Minnie Van service is a newer service and has a fee.
- Disney Bus Transportation: Complimentary buses run between all Disney theme parks, including Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. You can find the bus stop at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) near the Magic Kingdom entrance. Look for the signs that say “Animal Kingdom” to board the correct bus.
- Minnie Van Service: This is a premium transportation service offered by Disney, where you can request a private van to take you to your desired location. The Minnie Vans can accommodate up to 6 guests, and they can be booked through the Lyft app.
- Drive: If you have a car, you can drive from Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom. Simply follow the signs for Animal Kingdom as you exit the Magic Kingdom parking lot.
Overall, taking the Disney Bus Transportation is likely the most convenient and hassle-free option to get from Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom.
In conclusion, Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a unique and immersive theme park that offers a wide range of experiences for guests of all ages.
From thrilling rides and shows to up-close animal encounters and beautiful landscapes, there is something for everyone to enjoy. With a bit of planning and strategic use of time and resources, it is possible to experience all that Animal Kingdom has to offer in one day.