Glenwood Hot Springs Pool: Dive into Healing Waters
Nestled in the heart of the Colorado Rockies, Glenwood Hot Springs Pool offers a rejuvenating and historically rich experience for visitors. This enchanting oasis boasts not only healing, mineral-rich waters but also a fascinating past that dates back centuries.
- History of Glenwood Hot Springs Pool
- Activities and amenities
- Hours of operation and passes
- Tips and recommendations for visiting Glenwood Hot Springs Pool
- Best time to visit
- How to get to Glenwood Hot Springs Pool
Steeped in Native American and early settler history, the hot spring pool has evolved into a premier destination for relaxation, recreation, and wellness.
History of Glenwood Hot Springs Pool
Long before European settlers arrived, the Ute tribe revered the hot springs for their healing properties. They referred to it as “Yampah,” meaning “Big Medicine,” and sought its waters for both physical and spiritual restoration. These indigenous people were the first to appreciate the springs’ unique qualities and passed down their knowledge through generations.
In the late 19th century, the area caught the attention of Isaac Cooper, a visionary who saw the potential for a thriving town centered around the hot springs. He founded Glenwood Springs in 1883, naming it after his wife’s hometown in Scotland. With the arrival of the railroad in 1887, Glenwood Springs gained greater access and grew rapidly.
In 1888, the hot spring pool was constructed, claiming the title of the world’s largest hot springs pool at that time. The ambitious project combined the natural springs with a man-made structure, providing a comfortable and accessible space for visitors to soak in the mineral-rich waters.
Throughout its history, the hot spring pool has been a significant destination in Colorado. Early visitors included President Theodore Roosevelt and gunslinger Doc Holliday. Over the years, the pool complex has expanded and modernized, while still retaining its historical charm. It remains a favorite for both locals and tourists seeking rejuvenation and connection to the region’s past.
Today, the hot spring pool stands as a testament to the vision of its founders and the enduring allure of its healing waters. With each visit, guests can not only soak in the warm embrace of the pool but also immerse themselves in a captivating story that spans centuries.
Activities and amenities
Glenwood Hot Springs Pool offers three distinct pool areas catering to different preferences and age groups. The large main pool spans over two blocks, providing ample space for swimming and soaking. It maintains a comfortable temperature of 90-93°F (32-34°C), making it an ideal spot for relaxation.
The smaller therapy pool, with a temperature of 104°F (40°C), offers a more focused therapeutic experience, soothing sore muscles and tired joints. Families with children can enjoy the kiddie pool, designed specifically for younger guests to safely splash and play.
Sopris Splash Zone
A recent addition to the hot spring pool complex, the Sopris Splash Zone is a family-friendly water park that offers excitement for all ages. This aquatic playground features thrilling water slides, a lazy river for leisurely floating, and interactive water features, providing endless fun and entertainment for the whole family.
Spa of the Rockies
For those seeking a more luxurious experience, the Spa of the Rockies offers a variety of indulgent treatments designed to pamper and rejuvenate. Combining the therapeutic benefits of the hot springs with expertly crafted services, the spa features a diverse menu that includes massages, facials, body treatments, and more. Many of these treatments incorporate the mineral-rich waters of the hot springs, further enhancing their restorative effects.
Fitness Facilities and Group Classes
The hot spring pool is not just a haven for relaxation – it also boasts top-notch fitness facilities for those looking to stay active during their visit. The Athletic Club offers a state-of-the-art gym, racquetball courts, and even a professional climbing wall. In addition, visitors can participate in a variety of group fitness classes, such as yoga, Pilates, and aqua aerobics, all led by experienced instructors.
To ensure a seamless and enjoyable experience for all visitors, the hot spring pool offers a range of convenient amenities. These include locker rooms, a poolside restaurant and snack bar, a gift shop, and a seasonal cabana rental service for added privacy and comfort. The attentive staff is always available to assist guests and ensure a memorable visit.
Hours of operation and passes
The hot spring pool offers different hours of operation depending on the season.
Generally, the pool is open daily, with extended hours during the summer months. Day pool passes and season passes are available for purchase, providing flexible access to the hot springs pool according to your schedule and preferences.
While prices are not provided here, you can visit the official Glenwood Hot Springs Pool website for the most up-to-date information on hours, passes, and pricing.
Tips and recommendations for visiting Glenwood Hot Springs Pool
- Plan Your Visit: Before heading to the hot spring pool, check the official website for the most up-to-date information on hours of operation, seasonal closures, and any special events that may be taking place during your visit. This will help you plan your trip more effectively and avoid potential disappointments.
- Arrive Early or Visit During Off-Peak Times: The hot spring pool can get crowded, especially during weekends and holidays. To enjoy a more peaceful experience, consider arriving early in the day or visiting during weekdays. The pool is generally less crowded in the early morning and late afternoon.
- Bring Essential Items: Pack a swimsuit, towel, and water shoes, as these items are not provided at the pool. You may also want to bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun. While lockers are available for rent, it’s a good idea to bring a waterproof bag to keep your belongings safe and dry.
- Stay Hydrated: Soaking in the hot springs can cause dehydration, so make sure to drink plenty of water before, during, and after your visit. There are water fountains and a poolside snack bar where you can purchase beverages and snacks to stay hydrated and energized.
- Observe Pool Etiquette: Follow the posted rules and guidelines for pool use, such as showering before entering the pool and avoiding diving or jumping. Be mindful of other visitors by keeping noise levels down and maintaining a respectful distance from fellow guests.
- Consider a Multi-Day Pass or Season Pass: If you plan to visit the hot spring pool multiple times during your stay, look into purchasing a multi-day pass or a season pass. These passes often offer better value than single-day admission and allow for more flexibility in your schedule.
- Explore Nearby Attractions: Glenwood Springs and the surrounding area offer numerous attractions and activities to enjoy during your visit. Be sure to take some time to explore the local sights, such as Hanging Lake, Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, and the historic downtown area.
- Choose Suitable Accommodations: Select accommodations that suit your preferences and budget. Glenwood Springs offers a variety of lodging options, from historic hotels and cozy bed-and-breakfasts to modern lodges and resorts. Many accommodations are within walking distance of the hot springs pool.
- Respect the Environment: As a natural resource, the hot spring pool and its surroundings should be treated with care and respect. Avoid using glass containers, littering, or causing any damage to the environment. Leave the area as beautiful and pristine as you found it.
By following these tips and recommendations, you can ensure a memorable and enjoyable visit to the hot spring pool. Immerse yourself in the healing waters, connect with the area’s rich history, and discover the natural beauty that makes this destination so special.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit the pool depends on your preferences. If you enjoy warmer weather and don’t mind larger crowds, summer is an ideal time. For a more peaceful experience, consider visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring and fall.
Winter offers a unique experience with the contrast of hot springs against the snowy landscape, but be prepared for colder temperatures and potential weather-related travel challenges.
How to get to Glenwood Hot Springs Pool
The spring pool is conveniently located in the heart of Glenwood Springs, Colorado. To help you plan your trip, here’s a detailed guide on how to get there:
- By Car: Glenwood Springs is easily accessible via major highways. If you’re driving from Denver, take Interstate 70 (I-70) west for approximately 157 miles (about 2.5 hours). From Grand Junction, head east on I-70 for around 87 miles (about 1.5 hours). The hot spring pool is located just off I-70 at Exit 116. There is ample parking available near the pool complex.
- By Train: Amtrak’s California Zephyr route stops at the historic Glenwood Springs Train Station, making it a convenient and scenic option for those who prefer to travel by rail. The train station is just a short walk away from the hot springs pool.
- By Air: The nearest airports to Glenwood Springs are Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE), located about 30 miles (48 km) east, and Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (ASE), about 40 miles (64 km) south. Both airports offer car rental services and shuttle options for getting to Glenwood Springs. Alternatively, you can fly into Denver International Airport (DIA) or Grand Junction Regional Airport (GJT) and rent a car or take a shuttle service for the remainder of your journey.
- Public Transportation: The Roaring Fork Transportation Authority (RFTA) provides bus services within Glenwood Springs and the surrounding areas. This affordable and environmentally friendly transportation option can help you explore the town and easily reach the hot spring pool.
In conclusion, Glenwood Hot Springs Pool offers a rejuvenating and unforgettable experience, with its therapeutic waters, rich history, and stunning surroundings.