Lake George near Adirondack Mountains: Fun for Everyone
Embark on a picturesque journey to Lake George, a gem nestled within the Adirondack Mountains in upstate New York. This enchanting destination offers a captivating blend of natural beauty, exciting adventures, and rich history.
- What to do in Lake George
- Best boat tours and trips
- Hiking and biking
- Historical sites and parks
- Water activities near Lake George
- Unique places to visit
- Best beaches to swim in Lake George
- Things to Do in Lake George with Kids
- Shopping in Lake George
- Accommodation options in Lake George
- Best time to visit
- How to get to Lake George?
From serene boat tours to adrenaline-pumping water activities, this place truly has something for everyone. Let’s dive into the myriad of experiences that await you in this charming lakeside paradise.
What to do in Lake George
There’s no shortage of things to do in Lake George, NY! This beautiful Adirondack Mountain town is teeming with activities for all ages.
In the summertime, the lake is a playground for swimming, boating, and fishing. Head to one of the many public beaches or try your hand at stand-up paddle boarding. For those who prefer to stay on land, there’s hiking, biking, and golfing galore.
Looking for some family fun? Check out Adirondack Extreme Adventure Course, it’s sure to please everyone in the group! Don’t miss a chance to explore Fort William Henry Museum & Restoration, take scenic boat cruises, or catch a show at the Dinner Theater.
When night falls, the fun doesn’t have to end. Hit up one of the many bars and clubs in town for some live music or dancing.
Best boat tours and trips
Ahoy, adventurers! Prepare to embark on a journey through the shimmering waters, as we explore the picturesque boat tours and cruises offered by two of the region’s finest companies: Lake George Steamboat Company and Shoreline Cruises.
With their delightful array of options, durations, and facilities, these cruises are your ticket to basking in the beauty of captivating scenery.
Boat trips on Lake George are the perfect way to enjoy the natural beauty of the area. The boat tour takes you on a leisurely cruise around the lake, past towering mountains and lush forests.
You will also get the opportunity to get a wider perspective of the magnificent houses and mansions lining the shores. This is one of the most relaxing and tranquil experiences. You can find more details about the boat tours on their website.
Lake George Steamboat Company
Steeped in history, the Steamboat Company has been enchanting visitors since 1817. Their majestic fleet, comprised of three vessels – the Minne-Ha-Ha, Mohican, and Lac du Saint Sacrement – offers a diverse range of cruises, each promising an unforgettable experience on the tranquil waters.
- Paddlewheel Delight: The Minne-Ha-Ha Step back in time as you board the Minne-Ha-Ha, an authentic paddlewheel steamboat, for a one-hour narrated cruise. Revel in the sights and sounds of the lake while being serenaded by a live calliope concert, as the ship’s steam whistle echoes across the water.
- Journey Through Time: The Mohican Embark on a voyage aboard the historic Mohican, the oldest continuously operated tour boat in America. This vessel offers a variety of cruise options, from a two-hour Islands of the Narrows tour to a full-day adventure exploring the lake’s northernmost reaches.
- Dining in Elegance: The Lac du Saint Sacrement Savor a luxurious experience aboard the Lac du Saint Sacrement, largest cruise ship. Indulge in gourmet meals on luncheon, brunch, or dinner cruises, while enjoying live entertainment and awe-inspiring views of the Adirondack Mountains.
Shoreline Cruises, with its intimate fleet of smaller vessels, offers a more personalized experience as you glide across sparkling waters. Their diverse selection of cruises cater to every taste, ensuring a memorable journey.
- Scenic Bay Tours: Discover the lake’s hidden gems on a one-hour Scenic Bay tour, perfect for those short on time but eager to soak in the breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and shoreline.
- Sunset Cruises: Witness the sun’s grand finale as it dips below the horizon, painting the sky with a kaleidoscope of colors. Aboard a Shoreline sunset cruise, you’ll be treated to a spectacular light show as day turns to night.
- Customized Charters: For a truly unique experience, consider a private charter with Shoreline Cruises. Their dedicated team will work with you to create a tailor-made excursion, complete with personalized amenities, ensuring an unforgettable adventure.
Hiking and biking
A tapestry of picturesque trails awaits you, each offering a unique vantage point to admire the region’s diverse landscapes.
- Prospect Mountain: Conquer the 2.8-mile Prospect Mountain trail, and you’ll be rewarded with panoramic vistas and the Adirondack Mountains. Accessible year-round, this moderate hike promises a memorable ascent to a breathtaking summit.
- Shelving Rock Falls: For a more leisurely walk, follow the 1.7-mile Shelving Rock Falls trail, which leads you to a serene, cascading waterfall. This family-friendly hike is the perfect opportunity to unwind and reconnect with nature’s soothing melodies.
- Buck Mountain: For a more challenging trek, embark on the 6.6-mile round trip hike to Buck Mountain. As you navigate the steep, rocky terrain, you’ll be rewarded with awe-inspiring views and the surrounding mountains.
Warren County Bikeway
Discover the beauty on two wheels, as you pedal your way along the Warren County Bikeway. Stretching 9.8 miles from the village to Glens Falls, this paved, multi-use path is perfect for leisurely bike rides, joggers, and inline skaters.
Immerse yourself in history as you pass by numerous landmarks and plaques that recount the region’s storied past. From the Feeder Canal towpath to the Glens Falls Feeder Dam, each stop offers a fascinating glimpse into the area’s heritage.
With its gentle slopes and picturesque vistas, the Warren County Bikeway offers a scenic ride through lush forests and charming neighborhoods. Keep an eye out for wildlife, as deer and other local creatures often make an appearance along the path.
Revolution Rail Co
Experience a unique and exhilarating excursion with Revolution Rail Co. as you pedal your way along historic railroad tracks on specially-designed rail bikes.
The rail biking tours offered by Revolution Rail Co. typically last about 2 hours, providing ample time to soak in the scenery and snap unforgettable photos. Choose between two-seater and four-seater rail bikes, ensuring a comfortable ride for couples, families, or groups of friends.
In conclusion, picturesque hiking trails, the Warren County Bikeway, and the exhilarating rail biking experiences with Revolution Rail Co. offer a variety of ways to embrace the region’s natural beauty.
So strap on your hiking boots, hop on a bike, or hit the rails, and let the magic of wilderness sweep you off your feet.
Historical sites and parks
Step back in time and immerse yourself in the fascinating history, as you explore its storied past through captivating historical sites and parks. From the hallowed grounds of Battlefield Park to the educational exhibits of the Adirondack Museum, let’s delve into the tales and treasures that await you on this historical journey.
Lake George Battlefield Park
Located at the southern tip of this beautiful region, the Battlefield Park is a place where the echoes of history still resonate. As the site of multiple skirmishes during the French and Indian War and the American Revolution, this hallowed ground pays tribute to the bravery of those who fought for freedom and sovereignty.
Wander through the park’s serene landscape and uncover its storied past through guided walking tours, interpretive panels, and commemorative monuments. Highlights include the arresting statue of Father Isaac Jogues, a French missionary who was martyred on the site, and the striking 50-foot granite obelisk that honors the unknown soldiers who perished during the conflicts.
Fort William Henry Museum
Step through the gates of the Fort William Henry Museum, and be transported to the 18th century. This meticulously reconstructed fortress offers an immersive living history experience, as costumed guides bring the past to life through engaging stories, demonstrations, and hands-on activities.
Discover the fort’s rich history and strategic importance through interactive exhibits, weapons displays, and fascinating accounts of military life. For those seeking a spine-tingling experience, the museum also offers lantern-lit ghost tours that delve into the site’s haunting tales and paranormal encounters.
Nestled in the heart of the Adirondack Park, the Adirondack Museum invites you to explore the region’s cultural, natural, and recreational history through a captivating collection of indoor and outdoor exhibits.
Spread across 121 acres, the museum is a treasure trove of artifacts, artworks, and engaging displays that tell the story of the people who have called the Adirondacks home.
Water activities near Lake George
Get ready to dive into a world of aquatic adventures, where thrilling water parks and a myriad of water-based activities promise to make a splash with visitors of all ages.
From adrenaline-pumping rides at Six Flags Great Escape and Hurricane Harbor to serene canoe and kayak rentals, let’s explore the wet and wild side.
Six Flags Great Escape and Hurricane Harbor
Unleash your inner daredevil at Six Flags Great Escape and Hurricane Harbor, a theme park and water park duo that offers a tidal wave of excitement. With more than 135 rides, attractions, and shows, you’ll find heart-stopping roller coasters, splash-tastic water slides, and family-friendly rides that cater to everyone’s tastes.
Beat the heat at Hurricane Harbor, where a plethora of water attractions await. From the daring Tornado funnel slide to the relaxing Lazy River, this sprawling water park offers endless opportunities to cool off and have fun under the sun.
Canoe & kayak rentals at Lake George
Discover the hidden gems at your own pace as you rent a canoe or kayak from one of the many local outfitters. Paddle through calm waters, explore secluded coves, and admire the picturesque beauty of the lake and its surrounding landscapes.
Embark on a thrilling whitewater rafting adventure down the nearby Hudson River Gorge or Sacandaga River, where experienced guides will lead you on a heart-pumping journey through exhilarating rapids and breathtaking scenery.
With options for beginners and advanced rafters alike, whitewater rafting offers an unforgettable experience that the whole family can enjoy. Get ready to bond, laugh, and create lasting memories as you navigate the rushing waters.
One of the rafting companies is Wild Waters Outdoor Center. With 17 miles of routes and spectacular views of the Adirondack Mountains, this company provides everything you need for the thrill of rafting on the Hudson River.
Experience the exhilaration of parasailing as you soar high above the sparkling waters. With a bird’s-eye view of the surrounding mountains and shoreline, this adrenaline-fueled adventure offers an unforgettable perspective on the region’s beauty. There are several parasailing operators, one of them is Parasailing Adventure.
Tubing near Lake George NY
Tubing is a great activity for families and friends. There are many different companies such as Tubby Tube that offer this activity, so finding one should not be too difficult. The cost of tubing can range depending on the length of the trip and the number of people in your group. Most companies require a minimum of four people, so keep that in mind when making your plans.
Unique places to visit
Shelving Rock Falls
Tucked away in the heart of the Adirondacks, Shelving Rock Falls weaves a melodic tale of cascading water and lush foliage. Follow the gentle 1.7-mile trail as it guides you through an enchanting forest, leading to the serene waterfall that creates a harmonious union between land and water.
House of Frankenstein Wax Museum
Step into the chilling embrace of the House of Frankenstein Wax Museum, where the lines between horror and art blur. Wander through dimly lit corridors and come face-to-face with eerily lifelike wax figures of iconic monsters and villains, creating an unnerving yet fascinating experience for the brave of heart.
Hyde Collection Art Museum and Historic House
The Hyde Collection Art Museum and Historic House is a sanctuary for art enthusiasts, where a diverse collection of masterpieces spans centuries of creative expression.
Lose yourself in the timeless beauty of works by renowned artists such as Rembrandt, Picasso, and Degas, all housed within the elegant walls of a historic Georgian Revival mansion.
Discover the mesmerizing beauty of ice caves, where trapped air bubbles create an ethereal, frozen landscape. As you venture into these icy realms, be sure to bundle up in warm clothing, as temperatures can be quite chilly. Marvel at the wondrous formations and be captivated by the natural wonders that await you in ice caves.
Best beaches to swim in Lake George
Swimming is one of the most popular activities in Lake George NY. The lake is home to many different species of fish and the water is clean and clear. There are also plenty of water sports where you can interact with the water.
Million Dollar Beach
Million Dollar Beach is a pristine oasis that beckons you to unwind on its sandy shores and take a dip in the crystal-clear waters. This popular and spacious beach offers a serene escape, perfect for soaking up the sun and creating unforgettable memories with family and friends.
Million Dollar Beach is one of the most popular swimming beaches on Lake George. The sand and water are well-maintained and there are even lifeguards on duty to keep everyone safe. Moreover, Million Dollar Beach is free to use. It is a place where you can fulfill your desire for swimming activities.
If you are looking for a less crowded beach, you can also go to Usher’s Park Beach near George’s Restaurant. It is located on the southeast side of the lake and is relatively quieter.
Things to Do in Lake George with Kids
There are plenty of things to do in with kids! Here are some of our favorites.
Magic Forest Lake George Expedition Park
Magic Forest Expedition Park is one of the many great family attractions. This enchanting park features a variety of kid-friendly activities including a zoo, rides and a playground.
The park also features an exciting discovery area where children can explore the forest and discover magical creatures. It is a complete nature trail and learning space for children. Dinosaurs, many amusement rides for children, activities such as magic, everything designed for children to have an extremely good time.
Adirondack Extreme Adventure Course
Take your vacation to the next level with an adrenaline-pumping extreme adventure course! The Adirondack Extreme Adventure Course is a high ropes challenge course that will test your strength, balance and courage. Overcome your fears and enjoy breathtaking views of the Adirondacks.
This course in the Adirondack Forest welcomes you with thrilling obstacles. Not only adults but also children can take part in these obstacle courses and have a great time as a family.
For beginners, you can also experience the zipline adventure. You can add excitement to your day by crossing many ziplines and walking bridges accompanied by guides throughout the Adirondack Forest.
There’s nothing quite like a round of mini-golf courses to get the family together for some fun and laughs. And Goony Golf is the perfect place to do just that! With two 18-hole courses, a challenging pirate-themed course and aa more traditional one, there’s something for everyone. Plus, the views from the courses are simply beautiful.
Lumberjack Pass Miniature Golf
Immerse yourself in the rustic charm of Lumberjack Pass Miniature Golf, where beautifully landscaped grounds, cascading waterfalls, and challenging holes provide the perfect setting for a memorable round of miniature golf with family and friends.
Lumberjack Pass is an 18-hole miniature golf course located in NY. The course is wooded with streams, waterfalls and bridges.
Shopping in Lake George
It is home to a wide variety of shopping options, from local boutiques and farmers markets to national chain stores.
Adirondack Outlet Mall
The best place to shop is Adirondack Outlet Mall. This outlet mall features a variety of stores including clothes, home goods, camping gear, perfumes and more. It is also a great place to find deals on top brands. If you’re hungry from sightseeing, you can grab a bite to eat at the eateries and sip a coffee at the coffee shops.
Looking to score some deals on your favorite brands? Check out the factory outlets! There are a number of outlet stores in the area, featuring everything from clothes and accessories to home goods.
Accommodation options in Lake George
Discover a diverse range of accommodation options, catering to every traveler’s preferences and budget. From the luxurious Sagamore Resort to the rustic charm of local campgrounds, let’s explore the welcoming havens that await you in this enchanting lakeside town.
Indulge in the lavish comforts of the Sagamore Resort, an iconic hotel that boasts elegantly appointed rooms, suites, and condominiums with breathtaking views and the Adirondack Mountains.
Experience exceptional service and a wealth of amenities, including a private beach, indoor and outdoor pools, a full-service spa and spa, award-winning dining, and a variety of recreational activities such as golf, tennis, and boating.
Lake George Islands Campgrounds
- Scenic Camping Spots: Immerse yourself in the beauty of this place’s natural surroundings as you choose from a variety of campgrounds, each offering unique settings and facilities, ranging from secluded tent sites to RV parks with full hookups.
- Amenities for a Comfortable Stay: Enjoy a harmonious blend of nature and comfort, where you’ll find a range of amenities such as shower facilities, picnic areas, fire pits, and even Wi-Fi access to make your stay memorable and convenient.
For more information about camping and to find answers to your questions about reservations, you can visit their official website.
Best time to visit
The ideal time to visit here depends on the activities you wish to enjoy.
- Summers (June to August) are perfect for swimming, boating, and other water activities, with temperatures typically ranging from 70°F to 80°F.
- Fall (September to October) offers mild weather and beautiful foliage, making it a great time for hiking and outdoor exploration.
- Winter (December to February) transforms this place into a snowy wonderland, ideal for skiing, snowboarding, and other winter sports.
- Spring (April to May) is a quieter time to visit, with pleasant temperatures and fewer crowds.
How to get to Lake George?
It is easily accessible by car, bus, train, or air, depending on your point of origin and preferences.
- By Car: Cruise along the scenic Adirondack Northway (Interstate 87) as you venture towards the picturesque place. Just a stone’s throw from major Northeastern cities like New York City (around a 4-hour drive), Boston (roughly 4 hours), and Montreal (about 3.5 hours), this breathtaking destination is closer than you might think.
- By Bus: Hop aboard a Greyhound or Trailways bus and let the wheels carry you to here, effortlessly connecting you to various cities and towns throughout the region. Upon arriving at th bus station, nestled in the village’s bustling heart, you’ll find it a breeze to reach your final destination.
- By Train: Board an Amtrak train and embark on a nostalgic journey along the Adirondack Line. Alight at nearby stations like Fort Edward (20 miles south) or Saratoga Springs (30 miles south), where you can easily hail a taxi or rent a car to whisk you away to this place.
- By Air: Soar through the skies and touch down at Albany International Airport (ALB), just an hour’s drive from the mesmerizing shores. With several major airlines like American, Delta, Southwest, and United at your service, reaching this enchanting haven has never been easier. Once you’ve landed, rent a car, grab a taxi, or hop on a shuttle service to complete the final leg of your journey.
Discover the allure as you immerse yourself in its breathtaking landscapes, engaging activities, and warm hospitality.
Whether you’re seeking a tranquil retreat or an action-packed adventure, this enchanting destination promises memories that will last a lifetime. So pack your bags, and let Lake George’s magic sweep you off your feet.