Manawaiopuna Falls: Jurassic Park Falls in Kauai Hawaii
Nestled in the lush landscape of Kauai, the enchanting Manawaiopuna Falls is a breathtaking sight that draws visitors from all over the world. Surrounded by verdant cliffs and dense vegetation, this hidden gem is a true testament to the island’s natural beauty.
The majestic Manawaiopuna Falls gained worldwide recognition after its unforgettable appearance in the blockbuster film, Jurassic Park. This connection to Hollywood magic has only added to the allure of this spectacular waterfall, making it a must-see destination for travelers to Kauai.
Beauty of Manawaiopuna Falls
Manawaiopuna Falls, also known as Jurassic Falls, stands at an impressive 400 feet tall. The cascading water creates an awe-inspiring display as it plummets down the cliff face, flowing into a serene pool at the base.
The falls are surrounded by the vibrant greenery of Kauai’s tropical rainforest, which only adds to the natural splendor of this hidden gem.
The area around Manawaiopuna Falls is teeming with diverse flora and fauna, making it an ideal spot for nature enthusiasts.
The surrounding rainforest is home to a variety of endemic plant species such as ferns, ohia trees, and hibiscus. Visitors may also spot native birds like the Hawaiian honeycreeper, as well as other unique wildlife that thrives in this pristine habitat.
The rich biodiversity at the falls highlights the importance of conservation efforts and responsible tourism practices to preserve this extraordinary location for future generations.
How to visit Manawaiopuna Falls?
Hiking (private land access required)
Hiking to the captivating Manawaiopuna Falls requires obtaining private land access, as the waterfall is located on privately owned property.
To secure permission, it’s essential to join a guided hike organized by a tour company with a land-use agreement.
The hiking trail leading to Manawaiopuna Falls takes adventurers through lush vegetation, bamboo forests, and along gently flowing streams. This moderately challenging hike covers approximately 4 miles round trip and requires sturdy footwear, as the terrain can be muddy and uneven.
The reward for this effort is an up-close encounter with the mesmerizing Manawaiopuna Falls, allowing hikers to fully appreciate its beauty and power.
Manawaiopuna Falls helicopter tours
To visit Manawaiopuna Falls you will need to take a helicopter tour from Kauai. These tours usually take around 80 minutes including landing and will give you plenty of time to see the falls both up close and from above. Be sure to take your camera with you as it is truly a breathtaking sight.
Helicopter tours offer an unrivaled perspective of the stunning Manawaiopuna Falls and Kauai’s diverse landscape. Soaring above the island, visitors can fully appreciate the grandeur of the falls and capture breathtaking aerial photographs.
These helicopter tours not only provide exclusive access to the falls but also showcase Kauai’s other natural wonders, making it a popular choice for those who want to make the most of their trip.
Island Helicopters and Blue Hawaiian Helicopters are two popular tour operators that provide exceptional experiences for those seeking to explore the beauty of Manawaiopuna Falls and Kauai’s other natural attractions.
- Known for their exclusive landing rights at the base of Manawaiopuna Falls, Island Helicopters offers an unforgettable experience. Their ‘Jurassic Falls Landing Adventure’ allows guests to not only view the falls from the air but also to step out and explore the area up close.
- Address: 3730 Ahukini Rd, Lihue, HI 96766
- Phone: (808) 245-8588
- Website: www.islandhelicopters.com
Blue Hawaiian Helicopters
- As one of Hawaii’s most established helicopter tour operators, Blue Hawaiian Helicopters provides a range of tours showcasing Kauai’s diverse landscapes, including the breathtaking Manawaiopuna Falls. The ‘Kauai ECO Adventure’ tour offers stunning aerial views of the falls, Waimea Canyon, and the Napali Coast.
- Address: 3501 Rice St #301, Lihue, HI 96766
- Phone: (808) 245-5800
- Website: www.bluehawaiian.com
Both Island Helicopters and Blue Hawaiian Helicopters prioritize safety and customer satisfaction, ensuring that visitors have a once-in-a-lifetime experience while exploring the enchanting Manawaiopuna Falls and the beautiful island of Kauai.
It’s also important to note that these tours are not cheap, so if you’re on a budget you may want to check out other waterfalls on the island of Kauai.
Manawaiopuna Falls Jurassic Park scene
The connection with Jurassic Park stems from the iconic scene in the 1993 blockbuster film, where Manawaiopuna Falls was featured prominently as the backdrop when the characters first arrive on the fictional Isla Nublar.
This memorable moment captured the majestic beauty of the waterfall, with the helicopter descending in front of the cascading water, leaving a lasting impression on viewers.
Since then, Manawaiopuna Falls has become widely known as “Jurassic Falls” and has attracted countless fans of the movie and nature enthusiasts alike.
Best times to visit
The best times to visit Manawaiopuna Falls in Kauai typically depend on weather conditions and visitor preferences. However, there are two optimal periods that stand out:
- April to June: This timeframe corresponds to Kauai’s spring season, characterized by mild temperatures, moderate rainfall, and vibrant green landscapes. Visiting during these months offers a balance between pleasant weather and fewer crowds, as it falls between the busy winter and summer tourist seasons.
- September to November: The fall season in Kauai also offers favorable weather conditions, with slightly cooler temperatures and less rainfall compared to the summer months. This period sees a decrease in tourist numbers, providing a more relaxed and peaceful atmosphere for exploring the island and its natural wonders, such as Manawaiopuna Falls.
Keep in mind that the waterfall’s flow can be affected by recent rainfall, making it more impressive after periods of heavy rain.
How to get to Manawaiopuna Falls?
The best way to reach the waterfall is by helicopter, as mentioned above. While hiking is an option, it is extremely dangerous without guides as it is private terrain and rough terrain.
In conclusion, the awe-inspiring Manawaiopuna Falls offers visitors an unforgettable experience amidst the stunning landscape of Kauai. Its connection to Jurassic Park has only added to the allure of this hidden gem.
Whether you choose to view the falls from a thrilling helicopter tour or embark on a guided hiking adventure, the enchanting beauty of Manawaiopuna Falls is sure to captivate and inspire.