Pisa Baptistery in Piazza del Duomo
The Baptistery of Pisa is one of the three most important buildings in the square where the Leaning Tower of Pisa stands. The baptistery, which ranks second chronologically based on the date of its construction, is characterized by its almost symmetrical circular form.
55 meters high and 34 meters in diameter, it is the largest of the baptisteries in Italy. Construction began in 1152 and was completed in 1363. On two columns inside, it is written that the architect of the baptistery was Diotisalvi.
When Diotisalvi lost his life, Nicola Pisano, who appeared everywhere with his sculptures in Pisa, completed the baptistery. He changed Diotisalvi’s style and completed the building with a more Gothic style. Galileo Galilei, the Italian physicist, mathematician, astronomer and philosopher who revolutionized science and especially the telescope, was baptized in this imposing Gothic building with its dome paved with tiles.
The problem of soft soil found in the Leaning Tower of Pisa is also present in the baptistery. Since its floor is made of alluvium, which is a soil that can cave in, it has tilted 0.6 degrees since it was built.
In the baptistery, at certain times of the day, an attendant closes the doors and performs an acoustic sound show so that you can witness how perfect the acoustics of the building are. It is said that choir concerts held inside can be heard several kilometers away.
For more information about the Leaning Tower of Pisa and transportation suggestions to Pisa, visit our Pisa Travel Guide page. Pisa Cathedral, the main building of Pisa, Camposanto Mausoleum and the Leaning Tower of Pisa are among the places to visit in Pisa.