Giethoorn is located in the province of Overijssel and is known for its beautiful canal system. Giethoorn is a small and lovely village in the Netherlands that is often referred to as the Venice of the North or Venice of the Netherlands and islets, canals and wooden bridges connecting the islands. The village is built on canals and has no roads, only bridges and walking path lines.
- How to rent a boat in Giethoorn?
- Giethoorn Boat Rental FAQ
- Things to do in Giethoorn
- Giethoorn in Winter
- How to get to Giethoorn?
How to rent a boat in Giethoorn?
The village is best known for its canals, which are perfect for a leisurely electrical boat ride. The best way to explore Giethoorn is by boat. There are numerous boat rental companies in the village that can provide you with a boat and a map of the area. You can choose from a small boat or a large boat, and there are also boats available with or without a motor.
The best route to take is the sailing route that goes around the whole village. This route takes about half hour, but if you want to explore the surrounding areas, you can extend your trip. You can explore at your own pace and stop to enjoy the great views along the way.
You can rent a boat from one of the many boat rental companies in Giethoorn, or bring your own boat. There are also a number of tour operator also that offer canal cruises on a daily basis.
If you want to rent a boat in the center of the village Giethoorn, be sure to ask around for the best deal. Some companies offer discounts for online bookings, so it’s worth checking out their websites before you make your decision. Most importantly, choose a company that offers reliable rental boats and good customer service. You can decide by examining Zwaantje (dutch-language website) and Giethoorn Village (english website) companies.
Where can I rent a boat in Giethoorn?
If you’re looking to rent a boat in Giethoorn, there are a few different and best options available to you. Different boats can be rented from various companies located around the village in the area.
You can see boats lined up in rows next to the center of Giethoorn canals. These boats are waiting for visitors. You choose one of these boats, talk to the owner and if you agree on the price, you rent the boat.
What kind of boats are available for rent?
There are many different types of boats available for rent in Giethoorn, Netherlands. You can choose from small boats that seat up to four people, to large boats that seat up to twelve people. There are also electric boats and pedal boats available for rent. Prices vary depending on the type of boat you wish to rent and the length of time you need it for.
How much does it cost to rent a whisper boat?
In the Overijssel region of Giethoorn, the Netherlands, most transportation is by boat. Boat transportation is therefore most popular activity also.
Make sure you have your ID or passport to rent a boat and a credit card and some cash for payment. Some companies may require a deposit.
The cost of renting a boat varies depending on the type of boat and the duration of the rental. For example, a silent electric motor typically costs between €25 and €35 per hour, while pedal boats cost €15 per hour. Canoes can be rented for €10 per hour.
What is a whisper boat?
A whisper boat is a small, electric-powered boat that is quiet and doesn’t produce any emissions. You can find them in a variety of colors, but they are all very sleek and stylish. They are perfect for exploring the canals of Giethoorn because they don’t disturb the peace and quiet of this charming village.
How long does it take for a boat trip through Giethoorn?
The boat tours have a few different routes, short and longer ones. The shorter route takes 1 hour, the longer one, 2 hours. They give you a map, they tell you where to go and where to return.
Things to know before starting the Giethoorn tour
For someone going for the first time, they don’t realize what’s where, it can take a while to assimilate, as everywhere is the same. Thinking that you have passed the point you need to turn when you haven’t, pulling the boat to the right and trying to understand the map and the direction you are going are among the situations you will encounter.
By following the map you try to stay on track. In a moment I will explain what you need to find the right path. If you have an internet connection you can also follow this route on Google Maps.
- Driving a boat is quite easy, of course you’ll crash left and right once in a while, but that’s about it. You move the boat by turning the handle that holds the engine to the right or left. From the center, one side moves the boat forward, while the other side moves the boat backwards.
- The boat speed is determined according to the rotation rate. You also add right and left turns on top of that. It has fewer parameters than driving a car. There is no risk of tipping over, it is comfortable to use.
- During the 1-hour tour, there are a few things you should pay attention to in order not to lose your way. The roads on the canals are one-way and each canal is numbered with a number system. After renting the boat, you turn left and continue for a while.
- Until you see a windmill with no windmill blades on it. When you see this structure, you are already in a wide canal. You should not continue straight but turn 90 degrees to the right.
- The end of the road leads to a big lake called Bovenwijde. Again you turn 90 degrees and take a long way until you see the signpost number 5. Take sign number 5, turn right at the end of the road and turn left at sign number 3 to go back the way you came and return the boat to the owner.
Giethoorn Boat Rental FAQ
How do I avoid the crowds?
If you’re looking to avoid the crowds, there are a few things you can do.
- Try to visit Giethoorn during the off-season, instead of the high season. The months of September and October are typically the best time to visit, as the weather is still pleasant and the crowds have thinned out from the summer months.
- Try to go during the week if possible. Weekends tend to be the busiest times at Giethoorn, so avoiding them will help you steer clear of the crowds.
- The best time to rent a boat in Giethoorn is in the early morning. Foreign tourists start arriving in Giethoorn around 11:00 and then most tourists rent tour boats. Rent your boat early to avoid crowds and have a more enjoyable time with fewer boats.
Do I need to have boating experience to rent a boat?
No, you do not need to have any prior boating experience to rent one of the tour boats. All of the boats are easy to operate and they will provide you with all the necessary instructions before your rental period begins.
The main canal is not very deep, if you are afraid of water you can still ask the rental company or the boat owner for a life jacket or you probably already have one on your boat.
Things to do in Giethoorn
One of the most popular things to do in Giethoorn is cruising through the nature reserves. The Weerribben-Wieden National Park is just north of the village and offers some great opportunities for birdwatching and nature photography.
Another option is Museum Giethoorn, which has a lovely terrace overlooking the village canal where you can relax with a cup of coffee or tea.
You can also take a whole day trip to Zaanse Schans or visit other hidden gems in the area.
Giethoorn in Winter
While Giethoorn is lovely to visit at any time of year, there’s something extra special about seeing this idyllic place during winter.
When the canals freeze over, visitors can go ice skating on them. Ice skating is just one of the many fun fact that you can enjoy in Giethoorn during winter.
If you want to take a boat trip, especially in winter, you may have problems finding rental companies. The companies maintain the boats in the winter and have to take them out of the canal for this. Also, they do not favor boat trips when the canal is frozen.
How to get to Giethoorn?
To get to Giethoorn, you first need to make your way to Amsterdam. From Amsterdam, you can either take a train or a bus to Steenwijk, which is the nearest town to Giethoorn. Once you arrive in Steenwijk, you can get to Giethoorn by bus easily.
If you are coming by car there are several parking lot available near the starting point, so you can easily leave your car and start exploring.
Whether you want to sail through the canals, take a canal cruise, or explore the surrounding areas, Giethoorn is a great place to spend your vacation. There are many rental homes and apartments available, as well as boats for rent. The best thing about Giethoorn is that it’s so peaceful and quiet, it’s the perfect place to relax and enjoy nature. And with good weather, it’s a great place to visit any time of year.